1. A fall into the pit, a gain in your wit.
2. All shall be well, Jack shall have Jill.
3. A man should not bite the hand that feeds him.
4. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
5. Business is business.
6. Facts speak louder than words.
7. Failure is the mother of success.
8. Fish in troubled waters.
9. Friends must part.
10. Great minds think alike.
11. Health is better than wealth.
12. Hedges have eyes, walls have ears.
13. In time of peace prepare for war.
14. Like father, like son.
15. Man proposes, God disposes.
16. Misfortunes never come alone.
17. Money can’t buy time.
18. More haste, less speed.
19. Out of office, out of danger.
20. Out of sight, out of mind./Far from eye, far from heart.
21. Pride goes before a fall.
22. The style is the man.
23. Time and tide wait for no man.
24. The remembrance of the past is the teacher of the future.
25. To teach is to learn.
26. The tongue cuts the throat.
27. A new broom sweeps clean.
28. All roads lead to Rome./ All rivers run into the sea.
29. As a man sows, so he shall reap.
30. A sparrow cannot understand the ambition of a swan.
31. A straight foot is not afraid of a crooked shoe.
32. A word spoken is past recalling.
33. Beat the dog before the lion.
34. Better an open enemy than a false friend.
35. Diamond cut diamond.
36. Do one thing under cover of another.
37. Dogs bite in every country.
38. Every potter praises his pot.
39. Fine feathers make fine birds.
40. Gifts blind the eyes.
41. Good wine needs no bush.
42. Have a card up one’s sleeve.
43. He cries wine and sells vinegar.
44. He takes a spear to kill a fly.
45. In for a penny, in for a pound.
46. It is better to be the head of a dog/lizard than the tail of a lion.
47. It is better to die than to live when life is a disgrace./ Better die with honor than live with shame.
48. Judge not a book by its cover.
49. Kill two birds with one stone.
50. Let sleeping dogs lie.
51. Love me, love my dog.
52. Much will have more.
53. Once bit, twice shy.
54. Peace on the forehead and war in the mind.
55. Put the cart before the horse.
56. Speak of the devil( and he will appear).
57. Teach fish to swim.
58. The pupil outdoes the master.
59. The same knife cuts bread and fingers.
60. The sauce is better than the fish.
61. There are plenty of fish in the sea.
62. There is no smoke without fire.
64. A bad conscience is a snake in one’s heart.
65. Accidents will happen.
66. A clear conscience is a sure card.
67. A hedge between keeps friendship green.
68. All your swans are geese.
69. As you make the bed, so you must lie in it.
70. A watched pot never boils.
71. Count one’s chickens before they are hatched.
72. Danger is next neighbor to security.
73. Do in Rome as Romans do.
74. Don’t trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
75. Everybody’s business is nobody’s business.
76. Justice has long arms.
77. He knows most who speaks least./Still water runs deep.
78. Late fruit keeps well.
79. Many kiss the baby by the name of the nurse’s sake.
80. Misfortune might be a blessing in disguises.
81. Names are debts.
82. Nothing venture, nothing have.
83. Rest breeds rust.
84. Rome was not built in a day.
85. Save your breath to cool your porridge.
86. Short pleasure, long lament.
87. Stick together through thick and thin.
88. Take things as they come.
89. The pot calls the kettle black.
90. The shepherd would rather lose the wool than the sheep.
91. Things done cannot be undone.
92. True blue will never stain.
93. You cannot make a crab walk straight.
94. Fit the appetite to the dishes and the dress to the figure.
95．A friend in need is a friend indeed.
96． The friendship of a gentleman is insipid as water.
97． Genius is an infinite capacity for taking pains.
98． The gift is trifling but the feeling is profound.
99． A good tale is not the worse for being told twice.
100. Good will be rewarded with good, and evil with evil.